Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wild-Caught Salmon Crepes -Inspired by Rachel




Rx: Most people these days have heard of Omega-3 oils and how fish like salmon are full of them. What do these fatty oils do for you exactly? In addition to making your skin and hair really nice, they help lower your bad cholesterol levels, raise the good cholesterol in your body, and protect your brain against Alzheimer’s. These oils are also key in brain development, so everyone in your family can be eating it.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

*8 crepes ( I used my friend Rachel’s recipe, and you can find it on her blog: http://billyrachel.blogspot.com/2010/08/crepes-delicieux-polachinga.html)
One bunch fresh spinach, cleaned and trimmed
2 large fillets wild-caught salmon (I marinate mine overnight in oil, herbs and garlic)
½ C Vegenaise
1 tbs chopped cucumber pickles
1 tbs chopped cucumber
1 tbs dill (fresh or dried)
1 tsp white vinegar
Cracked black pepper
Olive oil
1 lemon, quartered and sliced
2 tbs chopped parsley, to serve

* I haven't tried this recipe yet using gluten-free flour, but seeing that pancakes turn out fine using it, I suspect it would be the same with the crepes.

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place the salmon on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. While the salmon is baking, heat a skillet or pan on low-medium heat. Add enough oil to just coat the bottom. When it’s warm, add your spinach and move these around in the pan until they wilt. Immediately remove them from the heat so that you don’t overcook them. Use one of your lemon wedges to quirt some juice over the leaves. In a small bowl, combine your Vegenaise, pickles, cucumber, dill, vinegar, and pepper. Mix these all together to create a tartar sauce that will go on top of the crepes.
To assemble, lay out a crepe, and fill along the middle. I put down the spinach first, and laid my salmon on top of that. Roll together like a burrito, but leave the ends open. Top with the tartar sauce, lemon wedge, and parsley.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks sooooo good!! I really want to be cooking fish meals not only for my family but I need it right now for my new little and I :) This actually looks like something I would eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it...this was actually super easy to make. Fish is great for everyone...very good source of healthy fat for you right now, and it's not too fishy:-)

    ReplyDelete